Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Blog 6



Every relationship is different, whether if it’s with a parent, a boyfriend or even an animal. Each relationship is made different by how both people interact with each other. For this blog we were given the opportunity to choose our topic of discussion, I chose relationships. I chose to write about parent and teenage relationships because I believe those are the most important. Where do I begin…

Growing up I always remember having my parents right beside me with everything I did. I remember my mom driving to me to and from soccer practices, I remember my dad coming to school for career day, impressing all of my friends as we intently listened to him talk about sky scrapers, and the process him and his team had to go through to build them. I remember my mom surprising me, when she came to school to eat lunch with me and my friends. I grew up very close to my parents. Nothing could ever separate me and my love for them.

Years have come and gone and my relationship with my parents continues to stay the same and grow stronger. Yet it seems that when I look back at how things used to be and how they are now, I can’t help but think about what my relationship would be like with my parents if we had not formed that special bond when I was young.

Now my parents and I still have our differences and disagreements. We are not perfect. I look at all of my friends and their relationships with their parents, I think about how they treat their parents and how they’re parents treat them. Sometimes I am not moved at what I see because it’s the similar interaction I am used to with my parents. Other times unfortunately I am completely and utterly shocked at what I see.

What is it that most Teenage and parent relationships don’t have? What is missing? It can be a lot of things, from disagreements to personal reasons that were never resolved. The biggest thing I believe poor relationships between parents and teenagers lack of is communication. Communication is key to every relationship; it is always the most important thing to have and maintain in a relationship.

In recent years teenagers are known to “hate” their parents and want to have nothing to do with them. It is surprising and rare when you find a teenager who takes time out to spend time with their parents. When really us teenagers should be honored to spend time with our parents, they are the ones who have put a roof over our heads, who put cloths on our backs, who are there when we fall, ready to pick us up once again. So why are the majority of people surprised to hear about a healthy relationship between adults and their teenagers?

Communication is the most common. I’m not talking about texting or talking on the phone or using Facebook as a source of communication, I am talking about real interaction with each other.ch Relationships are formed when two people come together, learn about each other and find similar interests that they can use and enjoy to be around each other.  Now day’s teens are so caught up in the newest trends and who’s doing what that they forget to include their parents in a daily conversation. Over time this causes separation between the two and can cause a variety of things to happen.

Without communication relationships just do not work, relationships that are based on communication form solid foundations for example, trust agreements, respect and obedience. This is what teen and parent relationships should look like. Communication starts at a young age, where it can be taught and not forced upon someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment